Friday, March 20, 2009

the beginning

Well it's not exactly the beginning. My partner and I have been talking about babies since we got together. We joke that we're lucky we can't just have sex and get pregnant, otherwise we'd have a litter by now. We are a queer couple - I am a biological female and he is a transgender (FTM) male.

We've thought over and over what we want to do - we went through all the debating of known versus unknown donor, but we only really had a couple of people in mind to ask. Long story short, none of our known donor options ended up working out. So over the last year we researched sperm banks, and we found the one we wanted. It's local and fairly inexpensive, at least comparatively. Over the last few months we researched their donors and found one we liked.

Save up money - check. Pick out a donor - check.

I've found myself a doctor, who is also a midwife, but I'm waiting until I get pregnant to decide whether or not she'll be MY midwife. So far so good...I like her a lot, and she's been a great doctor.

Pap, blood tests - check.

We registered with the sperm bank and are just waiting for our paperwork to go through.

I've been tracking my cycles for the past many months, and I've been very consistently ovulating on day 20. My whole life I had a crazy unpredictable and irregular period - this changed just over the past year, as I started tracking my cycles. I am so thankful that my body decided to synch up with my mind on this. As soon as I was emotionally ready to have a baby, my body started to cooperate.

So here is my blog. I hope it will be my personal space to track this journey and keep all my resources in one spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment