Friday, January 15, 2010

willing vs. not willing to be known donors (5 dpo)

I had a freak out yesterday. The donor we have chosen is anonymous, aka not willing to be known once the child(ren) turns 18. I realized that in my very first major decision for this child, I have already taken the choice away from him/her regarding whether or not they will be able to meet or know anything about the person who have provided half of their genes. I went online and found all sorts of angry now-adults who think having anonymous donors should be illegal. I keep thinking that I'm not being a good parent by taking that choice away. Frankly, the only reason we are going with our current sperm bank is because it is $300/vial vs. $600 vial, which seems to be standard everywhere else. The catch is that our sperm bank has little to no donors who are willing to be known.

I did find some great resources, like the donor sibling registry that made me feel a bit better about it. It does seem that there is a community of folks out there hoping to make connections with others who come from the same donor.

All in all this is just such a strange, surreal thing and my head is spinning with it all. It makes me want to revisit the idea of finding a known donor - I do have one person in mind, someone I've known for 15+ years, who will be a part of my children's lives regardless of whether he's the donor or not. If I do go that route, and he says yes, we'll have to go through with the testing and probably wait a few months, which will be hard.

I just want to have this figured out and be comfortable with it all. Plus I might be pregnant, which will make this worry a moot point.

No comments:

Post a Comment